My list so far / TrunkSync

How could Trunk be improved?

My list so far / TrunkSync

Postby russellr » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:06 am

Hi,

It's taken me a long time to decide on a decent notes app for the iPhone. And, your's is it! :D

After a short time of working with it, here are my suggestions so far:
  • I want to type "dayxx" to get Monday (or whatever) inserted. I can create a snippet called "day" with a function "{{ timestamp dd }}", and 1. it doesn't work, and 2. "dd" will only produce the day number - there's no timestamp argument for the day name (both Mon, Monday should be selectable. Similarly for Month names.
  • The docs on the IPhone are fine, but how about duplicating them on the web? Since one cannot be working on a note and reading the docs at the same time.
  • Really need an automated backup or sync.
  • The iPhone "global search" (it probably has a different name) should search your Trunk Notes notes too (maybe Apple prevent this, but please do it if possible).

thanks,
RR
russellr

Re: My list so far

Postby mgkennard » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I hope to be be doing some more Trunk Notes development soon (I have just released a new version of Go Calc.)

Your last suggestion is unfortunately not possible at the moment due to restrictions placed by Apple.

The automated backup/sync has been worked on but has languished a little recently. I intend to write a cross platform Java client to accomplish this. The current version of Trunk Notes does have a simple API implemented to allow for a sync/backup solution to be implemented. If any developers would like details of how this works and a copy of the reference Python implementation of a sync client let me know!

Regards,

Matthew
Apps On The Move
mgkennard
Site Admin

Postby dkijc » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey,

I'd definitely be interested in it! Thanks Mattew!
dkijc

Postby mgkennard » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:09 am

I have attached my Python implementation demonstrating how you can sync Trunk Notes with a local folder. Although this, as it currently stands, will only work on Mac OS X 10.5+ it would be trivial to modify it to work under Windows or Linux. As stated above I intend to rewrite this using Java so as to more easily be able to provide a cross platform tool with a GUI. At the moment the current implementation may have issues if your note names include non-ASCII characters.

The package includes httplib2 which is distributed under the MIT license, and pybonjour which is distributed under the BSD license.

TrunkSync itself is distributed under the BSD license - so feel free to do pretty much whatever you want with it apart from removing the copyright notice at the top of the file.

Before trying this make sure you have a folder called 'trunksync' created in your home directory (e.g. /Users/matt/trunksync)

To try simply untar the compressed archive, and then in the trunksyncapp directory, the one containing the application not the one which will store your notes, run 'python trunksync.py'. Then put Trunk Notes on your iPhone/iPod Touch into Wi-Fi Share mode and wait for trunksync to find it.

Here is some example output after running trunksync,

Code: Select all
mabookpro-3:tmp matt$ cd trunksyncapp
mabookpro-3:trunksyncapp matt$ python trunksync.py
Choose Trunk to sync with:
1. iPod.local.
Choice: 1
Username: matt
Password:
DEBUG:root:Getting note RenewableServices from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/RenewableServices.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note TrunkSync from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/TrunkSync.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note WorkDayPlanning from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/WorkDayPlanning.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note TrunkIconPlan from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/TrunkIconPlan.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note TaxStuff from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/TaxStuff.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note Now from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/Now.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note TrunkShortTerm from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/TrunkShortTerm.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note Scratch from device
DEBUG:root:Saving note to local /Users/matt/trunksync/Scratch.txt
DEBUG:root:Getting note TrunkBetaTesters from local /Users/matt/trunksync/TrunkBetaTesters.txt
DEBUG:root:Saving TrunkBetaTesters to device
mabookpro-3:trunksyncapp matt$

I would be interested to here from anyone who successfully uses this! I have been using it since September for syncing Trunk Notes and the Mac OS X app Notational Velocity without any issues.

Matthew
Apps On The Move
Attachments
trunksync.tgz
(66.38 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
mgkennard
Site Admin

Re: My list so far / TrunkSync

Postby jcborden » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:23 pm

I now have this working on my mac - clearly in these early stages it is a bit of a manual process, but an excellent start. Synchronises nicely both ways and will provide a nice fast way to create more lengthy notes and then sync to the iPhone.

I am just using Smultron as a text editor to alter the notes. Would be great to be able to get them into a wiki on the mac so that markdown was supported, but as stated, an excellent start.
jcborden

Return to Suggestions